FAQ: What is My Skin Type?
Ask an Expert: This is the first post in our weekly Ask an Expert segment. We will be answering your most commonly asked questions, one question at a time. In addition, we’ll be answering all the skincare questions that you send in via social media (with the hashtag #askaskderm). So please, send in your critical beauty questions and we’ll get them answered for you!
QUESTION: WHAT IS MY SKIN TYPE?
Products formulated for your skin type offer the best chance of giving you the results you want. Follow these simple steps to determine which type of skin you have so you can learn which types of products are right for you.
FIGURING OUT: WHAT IS MY SKIN TYPE?
1. Wash Your Face
Remove any makeup, dirt, & oil so you can start with fresh skin.
2. Wait 1-2 Hours
Do not apply any products so you can see your skin in its natural form.
3. What is My Skin Type?
Determine your skin type based on your skin’s natural characteristics.
1. Normal: No signs of flaking or oiliness. Skin feels smooth. Skin is oil free and does not feel tight. Minimal to no breakouts.
2. Oily: Skin looks shiny and may feel slick to the touch. Breakouts are most common on oily skin.
3. Dry: Dry: Skin often feels very tight and dry/flaky patches are present.
4. Combination: most common skin type. Combination: T-Zone (Forehead, Nose, Chin) tend to be oily, but the rest of face is dry/normal. Pores may be visible and open.
5. Sensitive: Sensitive skin can be easily irritated: itching, burning, chafing, & stinging. Skin flushes easily and may be red with exposure to alcohol, spicy food, & change in temperature. Occasionally break out in spots.
With our Ask an Expert weekly segment, we’ll be answering all the skincare questions that you send in via social media (with the hashtag #askaskderm). So please, send in your critical beauty questions and we’ll get them answered for you!