10 Tips on Reducing Cellulite
Have you ever seen those terribly invasive photos of your favorite celebs on vacation frolicking in a bikini that were taken by paparazzi pointing out any imperfections that they may have? (I don’t even like taking pictures in a bikini let alone ones that I wasn’t prepared for!). No one is perfect…even famous A-list celebrities have cellulite.
Cellulite isn’t just seen on overweight people but it also finds home on women of all different shapes and sizes. Unfortunately most men don’t have to deal with the cottage cheese looking lumps but the fact is that cellulite is found majority on women…9 out of 10 women to be exact!
Those awful dimples appear on your thighs, bellies, buttocks and arms and when you least expect it (like in a photo of you that was just tagged on social media!…sigh).
Cellulite occurs when fat is stored in pockets underneath the skin are pushed against tissues which creates a dimply, lumpy appearance. Even with massive weight loss, I still have those pesky pockets that seem to reduce not by just losing weight but by gaining muscle. If cellulite has been affecting you, here are some tips and tricks to help reduce its appearance.
- Drink your water. Not only should you be drinking 8-10 glasses of water daily for your health as well as great hair and skin but drinking water keeps your skin plump and supple which will help fill out the indents.
- Daily dry brushing. I absolutely love dry brushing as a great exfoliant that leaves your skin feeling softer and smoother. Dry brushing opens your pores, stimulates blood flow and when brushing in a upwards circular motion it also helps tighten skin. For best results do twice daily before your shower.
- Body scrubs. Body scrubs are great to use a few times a week to fix skin’s texture and smooth away rough patches but also it improves circulation which helps with the excess fluid that is stored under the skin’s surface.
- Eat healthier. I know it’s easier said than done sometimes but eating healthier does really help with losing fat and reducing cellulite. I’m not saying swear off your favorite slice of pizza but start monitoring your sugar and sodium intake. Too much sodium will leave you with noticeable water retention.
- Take your Omega 3s. Omega 3s come in capsules as well in a variety of food items. Including Omega 3’s good fatty acid in your diet will help smooth your skin and help your tissues reducing the appearance of the pockets.
- Eat your Flaxseed. I include flaxseed in everything from my overnight oatmeal, to a smoothie to tablespoons sprinkled in when I’m cooking. Flaxseed not only tastes great but is really good for you. It helps stimulate collagen growth and balance estrogen and hormone levels. Total win/win situation.
- Just like always…don’t forget your spf. You need spf during all seasons, different weather and for various reasons on why you should protect yourself from the sun’s harmful rays. Reason #1342 of why you need to wear SPF, UV rays damage collagen thinning out the skin and allowing for cellulite to appear much, much more than it should.
- Anti-Cellulite Creams. I absolutely love these creams! These anti-cellulite creams are practically an instant fix once used for consecutive days you really start noticing a difference. These creams include Retinol, Vitamin A and caffeine which helps stimulate collagen and dehydrate excess fluid retention. Tip to help absorb the cream better use plastic wrap around the area over the cream for twenty minutes or so.
- Balance Hormones. Regardless of what stage of your life you’re in…teenager, young adult, middle age, mature…no matter how old you are, you should get your hormones checked and balanced. Unbalanced hormones will lead to everything from weight gain, hair loss, mood swings, tiredness as well as excess fat that turns into cellulite. See your doctor and see what vitamins are right for you.
- Work that Body! If you don’t workout, you won’t gain muscle which will greatly help reduce the appearance of cellulite. Find your favorite workouts and start lifting weights which will help burn fat and build muscles. My favorite workouts are kick boxing, weight lifting and also a kettlebell workout…no Zumba or jazzercise for this girl!
There are many other ways to reduce the appearance of cellulite including laser treatments that cost thousands and thousands of dollars to other surgeries and procedures that will help vanish the pockets and dimples. But these are some simple tips that you can incorporate into your already busy lifestyle without having to spend an arm and a leg or any downtime.
Grab some of your girlfriends and take a kickboxing class or have a gym buddy to make it more fun but just keep moving, eating healthy and drinking that water!
Blog Written by askderm’s Guest Esthetician
Stephanie Ivonne is a New Jersey licensed Esthetician. Her fun-loving, outgoing personality will shine through her product selections & reviews to help you discover the hottest skincare and beauty products.
When Stephanie is not scouring the internet for the next hot skincare product, she is a mother to two wonderful biological children, a dedicated foster mom and is devoted to her husband of 13 years.